Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Week 8


I am down sick.  Iknew it was coming especially from that long stressful day in Santa Cruz.  It was one of those things where I don’t knowwhen I need to use the restroom and my head just hurt when I’mstanding/walking.  I skipped breakfastand just sleep.  I even made a slightmistake in my boxers.. I just ended up doing my laundry.  I’m sorry if that’s TMI.  You should get a better picture now.  XD  Iwent down to have some lunch and helped with work a little bit thatafternoon.  I took my camera to takepictures of others working since I wasn’t working.  The guys played soccer with the constructionworkers building the girls’ dorm. Quebrada Leon finally won!  Thepast few games, we always lost.  Man, ifwe played with offside rules, we wouldn’t have so many goals scored on us.  Kkkkkk The ladies were preparing a special meal for a New Years Service.  Fresh squeezed OJ, cupcakes, bread, andchips.  We had a time for everyone tojust say something about 2012 and what we want to change for 2013.  It was very nice to hear all the differentstories and that really helped to think about what I want to change in my lifein this New Year.  So much has happenedthis past year..  Undergrad graduation,DAT, camp meeting, and now Bolivia.  Whothought of that!  The food was simple butgreat!  They proceeded to watch amovie.  Greg and I went up to sleep early.  The night sky is simply amazing here.  No artificial lights to diminish the detailsof the celestial skies.  I really need todo a time lapse of the night sky sometime. 
Well, January 1st and the world didn’t end.  Surprised? XD  not at all.  Anything different from the day before?  Maybe more mangoes on the ground?  Haha! Yes, we worked on New Years.  Somany firsts in Bolivia.. Working on the holidays.  Oh gosh. Jacques, who is in charge of work, cut off excess branches from thelemon trees and we had to haul them to the bonfire as well as take the rottenmangoes.  It was really hot and as usual,I was sweating up a storm.  They startedthe fire with lots of gasoline (it was a huge pile to burn).  Later, Jose tied a sack on a stick andlighted it with gasoline on it.  Then hethrew it into the middle of the pile. Boom!  Excess gasoline around itlighted and sent out a small shockwave. Cool!  Around 11:30am, it startedto rain.  Didn’t think much about ituntil I remembered my clothes on the line to dry back up at the dorm.  I rescued my clothes in good time and thenlay down for a short nap.  I had airritating headache.  Well, that was myNew Years.  I bet yours was verydifferent than mine; I could only imagine. ^^
I was helping to make bread and the strangest thing.  Recently, some people donated a couple boxesof honeybees to the school.  Now thesebees were obviously attracted to the flour for some odd reason.  As a biology major, I have never heard ofbees being attracted to flour.  They wereliterally covered in flour powder like they are playing in it.  Hmm, well, we made bread and kept having totake out bees that would somehow become part of the bread..  I love honeybees and think that they aremarvelous but later, I just swatted at them. Anyone explain this phenomenon? 
While visiting one of our Bible study contacts, we saw aKorean drama on their TV.  In Spanish ofcourse but boy, that was really weird to see Korean drama playing inBolivia.  We took a few loaves of breadto give to them as well, besides having a study.  A couple dogs and chickens came by to inspectmy backpack, in which I was carrying the bread in.  XD There is Wednesday night meeting for our contacts at 7:30pm.  I believe her name is Anna-Marie.. Anyhow, Ihadn’t seen her for a long time because I switched locations.  She ran and gave me a big hug.  She asked, “Where have you been?  I’ve miss you!”  Aw. She was so excited and happy. Later, I found out that in the past two weeks, she read the Bible.  Yay, right? Well, she read from Genesis to… Luke. O.o  She said she’s been readingit everyday from morning til night and she just couldn’t be any happier.  PTL! 
We needed to plan for our upcoming trip to La Paz andPeru.  We received permission to take theentire day to go out to use the internet and do our research.  We went out 6am and got back by 4pm.  Greg and I used the Wifi at casa de culturafor free.  Greg on his macbook and I onmy iPhone.  I did not do much researchbut rather checked my emails, facebook, blog, canon rumors, etc…  :D  Webought some food to eat for lunch before getting Greg’s money from WesternUnion and I getting to change my US dollars into Bolivianos.  The place had A/C.  ^^
Anything really interesting or new..  Well, I did get hit by a falling mango andthat hurt a lot more than I thought that it would.  At least it hit my shoulder.  The winds here increase the rate of fallingmangoes.  Cleaning them is actually adangerous job.  Haha!  What else.. I’ve mentioned before that the wood here is very heavy.  Well, we were just putting the bed framestogether.  Lifting the frames and puttingthem into place made me sweat like I was in the oven or something.  It was quite the sight.  It must have weighed close to a hundredpounds.  No joke. 
Non-ironing and sweat wicking shirts will be your bestfriend.  Whites are your worstfriends.  It’s difficult to keep thingsclean and dust free here.  I worry for mycamera at times.  I hope it’ll survivetil I get back home.  It’s alreadywearing away at the grip.  L 
Saturday, we did not go to our bible contacts due to heavyrain.  If the river(s) floods, we’re notgetting back to the school for at least a day. Boris, who is in La Paz at the moment, called Edward and said that thebuses are cheaper in the morning than at night. So making quick decisions, we (Brenda, Edward, Greg, and I) decided todepart that night to Santa Cruz and leave early in the morning on the bus.  We stayed at a person’s house who attendedHAMACAS.  We saw probably the largest dogwe have ever seen.  Greg was trying toget to the bathroom.  He staying in theroom until the coast was clear.  LOL  I slept on the floor and Greg and Edwardslept on the beds.  The floor wasexcellent for my back.  I juiced up myphone and camera.  Ready to start ourtrip!  
Dec 31-Jan 5

No comments:

Post a Comment